Tuesday, July 29, 2014

First Friday Photography Show

Come join me this Friday at 6:00PM (August 1, 2014) for my First Friday photography art show in Seward, at Eight Arms Printing.


Corners of Alaska


Adventure photography from the wilderness.


Artist Statement:

Whether by bike, packraft, kayak or foot, the camera is a constant companion on my human-powered adventures through Alaska - my birth home. Photography helps me translate some of my love affair with this land and is a reminder why I live and dream the way I do.


To have just the right equipment but not too much is a balancing act when adventuring in big, wild landscapes. Many photographers would recoil to see the way I carry my camera strapped to my body in a home made dry bag while fording rivers or plunging knee deep into overflow at -20º, but the risk to equipment and body is diminished by the value of capturing images in hard to reach corners of Alaska.


I attempt to keep my work honest and not stray too far from the vision of the event as seen in real life. However, photographs are made not taken and I labor over the details of each image before calling it done. Rules are meant to be broken but how the artist breaks them defines the artist. My highest hope is to tell a good story and leave the viewer with a desire to return to the image again and again.

-Bjørn Olson



No comments:

Post a Comment